New stuff I learned with this pattern: lining, pockets, invisible zipper.
I ended up using the muslin as a lining, since this linen is ever so slightly see through. Since this pattern doesn’t include a lining, I googled around and found two articles about sewing lining into a bodice and a skirt. I have to say, the internet has been a huge help to me while learning how to sew. The lining was time consuming but totally worth it. I had to baste each piece of lining to my linen fabric, and ultimately sewed everything as if it were one piece of fabric, and not two. I also purchased bias tape for this dress. Normally I would make my own but since the overall theme of the linen was white, I figured I could try using a store bought bias tape. It works well, BUT I’m not super thrilled that it’s partially polyester.
For the pockets I stuck to the white muslin, not realizing that it would be partially visible from the front of the dress. Oops! Since the muslin is white - no big deal! But now I know for next time. I found this pocket to be pretty straight forward - sewing the pocket in and then together with the other side. And who doesn’t love pockets in a dress?
The invisible zipper. Sigh. Okay, I ripped this out many times. I actually got it in on the first try! BUT getting it in the right position so it zipped up to the very top of the dress was tough. And then of course in doing that I ended up sewing it in twisted more than once. Sigh. In the end I ended up sewing in a small clasp at the very top. But given this is my first invisible zipper I’m pretty happy with it. I found an awesome youtube video on how to sew an invisible zipper WITHOUT the invisible zipper foot. SCORE! I really did not want to buy another foot for my machine, and turns out you can use a regular zipper foot just fine. Video here.
Overall, this dress probably took me around 12 hours to make. 10 in construction and probably an additional 2ish for assembling the pdf pattern, cutting and small fixes at the end. There are some things I wish were better - such as the pattern of the fabric matching up in the back of the dress, the top of the zipper and top of the bias tape on the neckline (as seen in this pic below). But I don’t think anything is very noticeable. :)